The term compensation refers to the range of wages and benefits that employees are provided in return for their work. Payments for all services provided by an employee are treated as an employee's salary and wages, which must be paid by the University in accordance with all Federal and State Regulations. This section focuses on Pay & Taxes and Salaries & Wages, including self-service applications, information on employee salaries, Civil Service class specifications, and open range assignments and rates. However, these topics represent only one portion of the total compensation package. Compensation also includes such benefits as paid vacation, health and life insurance, and retirement plans. Visit Leave and Benefits for more information.
Are you off campus?
You must access your Direct Deposit, Earnings Statement, and Tax Statement from either a computer on a university network, OR by using 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) when you are off campus. Go to https://verify.uillinois.edu/ to set up 2FA.
If you have not done so yet, we encourage you to set up 2FA immediately.
Pay & Taxes
Self-Service Applications (login with 2FA required)
Direct Deposit - Set up Direct Deposit, which enables electronic transfer of your earnings to an account you specify. Employees without an active Direct Deposit account prior to receipt of first pay will receive funds on a university provided Paychek Plus card.
- Earnings Statement - View current and historical earning statements.
- W-2/1042-S/1095-C Tax Statement - Sign up to receive an electronic version of your W-2,1042-S, and/or 1095-C, plus view current and historical information.
- W-4 Withholding Allowance - Complete or change your State and Federal income tax withholding (W-4) information. If you elect an additional flat amount to be deducted on Form W-4, the flat amount will be deducted on all pay events: original, retro-active, and adjusted.
- Foreign National Employees - Schedule a mandatory tax status review appointment with the University Payroll Service Center and other helpful information.
Will you be working outside of Illinois while employed with the University?
1. Your unit must follow OBFS Policy Section 18.16 prior to hiring or allowing work in a state other than Illinois or in a foreign country.
2. You must review Out of State Tax Withholding to determine which tax forms you need to complete.
3. Submit your tax forms to UPB. UPB makes tax deposits and reports withholdings and earnings based on your state’s requirements.
Office of Business and Financial Services (OBFS) Resources
UPB - processing, deductions, and schedules.
Payroll Schedules - current schedules and important Payroll processing deadlines.
Salaried Non-Exempt Academic Timesheets - see System HR Services Forms.
Salaries & Wages
Civil Service Salary Rates and Ranges - an overview of the Civil Service pay structures.
Academic Professional Titles - frequently used titles and standard descriptions for Academic Professional positions.