Benefit Choice is closed.
Benefit Choice open enrollment period is held in May, with an effective date of July 1. Benefit Choice is your annual opportunity to make changes to your State of Illinois health, dental, and life insurance enrollments, add or terminate dependent coverage and opt out of State of Illinois health and dental insurance coverage with proof of enrollment in another comprehensive health plan. It is also time to re-enroll in the Flexible Spending Account (FSA) for the following plan year.
Allowable Enrollment Changes
The Benefit Choice period is the only time changes may be made to State plan benefits unless experiencing a qualifying event. In that case, the necessary changes may be made in conjunction with the qualifying event. All changes, unless noted, are made in NESSIE. The following changes can be made during Benefit Choice by selecting the link at the top of this page:
You will need:
- Your NESSIE Personal Identification Number (PIN). If you have forgotten your NESSIE PIN you will need to establish a new PIN.
- Your physician's 10-digit National Provider Identifier (NPI)*. This will be needed when selecting a Health Management Organization (HMO) plan. The plan websites have the NPI numbers listed. See the HMO provider links to obtain NPI numbers.
- If selecting BlueAdvantage HMO or HMO Illinois, a 3-digit medical group code is required. See the HMO provider links to obtain this code.
- Spouse and/or dependents information, if applicable, including the birth dates, Social Security numbers, NPI numbers and the insurance carrier's name and effective start date, if covered on another group or individual health or dental insurance program.
* The NPI is not needed for any Open Access Plan (OAP) or the Quality Care Health Plan (QCHP).
Benefit Choice Resources
All elections made during the Benefit Choice period (May 1 through June 1, 2015) will be effective July 1, 2015. Please refer to the resources below for a description of the changes effective July 1, 2015.