Retirement Systems Reciprocal Act
If you have worked for another public employer in Illinois, or if you are leaving the University to take a job with another Illinois public employer, and plan to or have participated in a retirement program through that employer, you may be eligible for service credit reciprocity through the Retirement Systems Reciprocal Act.
The Reciprocal Act ensures continuous pension credit for public employees in Illinois. Pension credits of more than one year in any reciprocal system may be used to meet qualifications for retirement or survivor benefits. For further information, contact SURS at 800-275-7877, in the Urbana-Champaign area 217-378-8800, or visit the SURS website.
Additional details and contact information for retirement systems covered under the act are available in the Retirement System Reciprocal Act brochure and the Reciprocal System Listing on the SURS website.
Systems covered under the Act include:
- County Employees' Annuity & Benefit Fund of Cook County
- Forest Preserve District Employees' Annuity & Benefit Fund of Cook County
- General Assembly Retirement System
- Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund
- Judges' Retirement System
- Laborers' Annuity & Benefit Fund
- Metropolitan Water Reclamation District Retirement Fund
- Municipal Employees' Annuity & Benefit Fund of Chicago
- Park Employees' Annuity & Benefit Fund of Chicago
- Public School Teachers Pension & Retirement Fund of Chicago
- State Employees' Retirement System
- State Teachers' Retirement System
- State Universities Retirement System