University of Illinois Logo University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign University of Illinois Chicago University of Illinois Springfield
Home Search Help
N E S S I E   Home >

HR Forms
Human Resources

Divorce, Legal Separation, Annulment or Dissolution of Civil Union

Employee's who are getting divorced, legally separated, annuling their marriage, or obtain a dissolution to the civil union partnership can make several changes to benefits and personal employment information. The spouse must be removed from all coverage effective the date of the event. Employees may initiate changes to the following:


Employee and dependent health and dental coverage
Optional State life insurance
Flexible spending accounts

Personal Employee Information

Name, Address and Phone Number Changes
Emergency contact
Tax withholding allowance (W-4)
Direct deposits
Social Security Number

Required Documentation

Include the following documentation when making a change to benefits or personal information:

  • Copy of page one of the divorce, legal separation decree or dissolution of civil union.
  • Copy of the divorce decree, legal separation or dissolution of civil union page that includes the judge's signature with circuit clerk's file stamp.

Tell me about:

Qualifying events
CMS MyBenefits


Maintained by University Human Resources | Contact Information | Last Update: 21-September-2017 | ID: 41