University of Illinois Logo University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign University of Illinois Chicago University of Illinois Springfield
Home Search Help
N E S S I E   Home > Time Off / Leave >  






Leave Forms


Jury Duty










HR Forms
Human Resources

Time Off and Leave

Sick Leave

Eligible employees may use sick leave for illness of, injury to, or need to obtain medical or dental consultation for the employee, employee's spouse, employee's registered same-sex domestic partner, children, or parents, parents-in-law (including the parents of a registered same-sex domestic partner), and members of the employee's household. "Children" include biological, adopted, foster, stepchildren, legal wards, children for which an employee is standing in loco parentis, and children who are members of the employee's household. "Parent" is defined as a biological parent, a step parent, or an individual who stood in loco parentis to the employee.

Sick leave may also be used for pregnancy or following the birth or adoption of a child to care for that child, not to exceed 12 weeks.

Specific information on the following topics can be found below:

Benefits Continuation
Transfer of Sick Leave
Sick Leave Payout


Civil Service employees in a trainee, apprentice, learner, provisional, and status appointments are eligible.

Academic employees who are eligible to participate in the State Universities Retirement System or the Federal Retirement System, have a 50 percent appointment, and who are appointed for at least nine months are eligible.


Civil Service employees accrue sick leave without limit at the rate of .0462 hours for each hour, exclusive of overtime, that the employee is in pay status (approximately 12 days per year for full-time status).

Academic employees earn 12 cumulative and 13 non-cumulative sick leave days per appointment year. Part-time appointments receive a pro-rated share. In the case of an appointment for less than a full appointment year, the 12 days cumulative and the 13 days noncumulative leave shall be prorated.


Employees should receive approval from their supervisors to charge absences against accumulated sick leave. An employee's supervisor may require the employee to provide evidence to substantiate the reason for the absence, including a physician's certificate or FMLA medical certification, if applicable. The use of sick leave for family and medical leave (FML) or victims economic security and safety leave (VESSA) purposes does not extend the FMLA or VESSA entitlement.

Departmental procedures for notification that sick leave benefits need to be used may vary. Contact your immediate supervisor for the particular procedures in your department.

Accrued sick leave cannot be used for vacation purposes.

Upon exhaustion of sick leave, employees who are enrolled in the Shared Benefits Program may be eligible for additional sick leave benefits.


Civil Service employees report sick leave usage on a bi-weekly basis when completing their normal time and attendance reporting.

Academic reporting occurs bi-annually, in May and August. Reporting may occur more often based on departmental procedures.

Benefits Continuation

While using accrued sick leave, employees continue to receive the same State and University benefits as when actively working. All State-paid contributions continue.

Transfer of Sick Leave within the University

When an employee transfers from one employee group to another (academic to civil service or vice versa), sick leave credit will be transferred. All transfers of sick leave credit require the presentation of appropriate records verifying the sick leave accrued and unused prior to the transfer. Employees with questions should contact their hiring unit. Units needing assistance with sick leave transfers should contact the campus/central human resources office.

Employees are not entitled to cash payouts for accrued sick leave credits when transferring.

Transfer of Sick Leave from another State agency or other institutions subject to the State Universities Civil Service System

Benefit eligible employees who transfer from a State agency or other institution subject to SUCSS may request to have sick leave transferred to the University of Illinois. In order to request a transfer, a break in service between leaving the prior state agency/institution and joining the University of Illinois cannot be greater than 120 days. The employee should contact the appropriate office at the prior agency/institution who can verify leave information and complete the Request to Transfer Cumulative/Noncompensable Sick Leave form:
Request to Transfer Cumulative/Noncompensable Sick Leave

The University of Illinois does not accept compensable sick leave from other agencies/institutions. Employees should have been paid out for any remaining compensable sick leave at the time of separation. Noncompensable sick leave can be transferred and will be credited to the employee's noncompensable balance at the University of Illinois. Transfer of vacation is not accepted at the University of Illinois.

Sick Leave Payout

Civil Service Staff
At the time of termination, employees with unused accumulated sick leave that was earned between January 1, 1984 and December 31, 1997, may elect to be compensated for up to one-half of the amount.

All unused sick leave accumulated prior to January 1, 1984, on or after January 1, 1998, and/or accumulated while ineligible for compensation under the State Finance Act is not subject to payment, but may be used for service credit in accordance with the rules of the State Universities Retirement System.

Academic Staff
One-half of all unused, accumulated compensable sick leave earned between January 1, 1984, and December 31, 1997 is paid out at the time of retirement. The remainder is utilized for establishing service credit in SURS. If employees prefer, they may elect to have all of the post-January 1, 1984 unused sick leave days applied toward service credit in the retirement system.

When employees leave the University before the completion of their contract, sick leave must be prorated for the portion of the year worked. If, at the date of termination, employees have used more sick leave than they have earned, the value of the unearned days used will be deducted from the employee's final paycheck. If the repayment amount is not deducted from the final check, an employee will be required to reimburse the University for the value of the used unearned days.

Sick Leave Used to Buy Service Credit

If you retire within 60 days after you terminate your employment covered by SURS or one of the other systems subject to the Illinois Retirement Systems Reciprocal Act, your unused/unpaid sick leave will be converted to additional service credit, up to a maximum of one year.

20 to 59 Full Work Days = .25 Year Additional Service Credit
60 to 119 Full Work Days = .50 Year Additional Service Credit
120 to 179 Full Work Days = .75 Year Additional Service Credit
180 or more Full Work Days = 1 Full Year Additional Service Credit


Select from the appropriate campus and/or employee group for specific policy information. Although registered same-sex domestic partners are not directly referenced in the policies, many of these benefits are extended to an employee's registered same-sex domestic partner. Please visit the Domestic Partner page for further details on domestic partner benefits.

University Policies
General Rules Concerning University Organization and Procedure
Clarification Memo re: Sick Leave, Funeral/Bereavement Leave, and Parental Leave
Request to Transfer Cumulative/Noncompensable Sick Leave

Policy and Rules for Civil Service Staff
Rule 2.10 - Retirement
Policy 10 - Sick Leave
Rule 10.02 - Shared Benefits Program
Rule 10.06 - Sick Leave Compensation Upon Termination
Rule 12.05 - Group Insurance Continuation Following Retirement

Campus Policies

Sick Leave for Academic Staff
Transfer of Sick Leave and Vacation Credit
Annual Vacation and Sick Leave Reporting - Academics
Shared Benefits (Sick Leave) Policy for Academic Staff

Sick Leave for Support Staff
Sick Leave for Academic Employees
Vacation and Sick Leave Transfer within the University
Sick Leave and Vacation Transfer from other State Agencies
Restoration of Leave Time Upon Return to the University
Sick Leave Granted by the Chancellor
Leave Reporting for Academic Professional Employees
Payment of Terminal Benefits for Academic Employees
Shared Benefits Program

Springfield: Leaves of Absence

Maintained by University Human Resources | Contact Information | Last Update: 14-June-2016 | ID: 1366